Thursday, March 6, 2008

Where did February go?

So, life doesn't calm down at all, but I get the morning off. I think I have had one day off this past month, in which I recall sleeping the whole day. Dang, I just looked at my watch and it is already a week into March. Owen, I am sorry for missing your Birthday, hopefully I can call home soon. Thank you to all who have sent me packages and letters, they are the only way I can really tell what day it is. Most importantly, thank you for all your prayers, I want you all to know that they help so much. Congrats to Dane and Olivia for doing so well at their Ballroom Competitions!

Nothing major has happened to me this month in Mosul. I think that is due to the increased level of security in the city. Baghdad has sent up an additional 3,000 troops to help maintain Mosul and we are going out twice a day at least, which is why I have been so busy. I often think that if I was paid for the amount of work I actually do, I think I would be very rich. But, of course, I am not in this business for money. I love what I do, which is protecting my loved ones. Some people don't believe that we are accomplishing this in Iraq. If you believe this, think about it this way, if the U.S. Military was not in Iraq, then Al-Qaeda would be in America. They love hurt Americans and it is easier to get to us than it is to go all the way to America. Of course, we aren't easy targets hehe.

On a lighter note, with the projector Pah got me just before I left, we here have managed to create an outdoor theater. It is pretty ghetto at the moment, but we have high hopes. To many of the guys are just coming back from patrols and go back to their rooms and do nothing. So, for the sake of moral and comradery we have put this together. Every night that we show a movie we are pulling a bigger crowd, so I am pleased that it is working.

Protecting your freedoms,
Samuel (Mark) Tolman

2 comments:

Wilby AP Biology said...

Hey Mark, I am so glad that you are able to use that projector with your buddies to help get your collective minds off the terrors and trials of the day. Andrew takes his exam the next two saturdays and I have my fingers and toes crossed too.
Love you son
dad

erick said...

Hey Mark,

So im still in great lakes doing an ATT. Then they ship me out of here in the beginning of may sometime. I head to pensucola flordia for like 4 or 6 month of A school. Then i may go somewhere for C school and then its out to the fleet.

Most like im going to be placed on sea duty and live on an aircraft carrier. :)

I'm really sorry to hear about your comrades. It had to be hard on the soul. I read about it when i was in bootcamp and himpie sent a letter.

I know what you mean about protecting your families. Even though im not there in the sandbox or out in the fleet yet. The feeling that i will be soon is great though and is a major drive.

Anyways things are going good here and i hope things go up for you.


Be safe Mark
-Erick